RETURN TO INDEX

INSERT INSTALLATION/ REMOVAL i2 MX- ITA 

PART # 410 130 206, 410 130 116, 910 112 130 

TOOLS REQUIRED

VTAC Extraction Tool

INSTALLATION 

NOTE: For i2 MX backshell removal instructions, refer to the 

i2 MX User Manual

After removing the ITA backshell, install VTAC patchcords/inserts from the rear side of 
the ITA frame. 

Install into the appropriate slot(s) while applying gentle pressure.  
Once in place, gently pull the wire to ensure the insert(s) is fully seated. 

As with installation of any multi-VTAC insert patchcord, the blue insert should be 
installed on top.  

To maximize use of the i2 MX bend radius area, it is recommended to first install VTAC 
patchcords in Tier A (top) (

Figure A

). However, special care must be taken when 

using thicker wire such as RJ45 and Dacar 535. These and other thicker wires require 
a greater bend radius and do not allow for full ITA slot capacity use. At minimum, 
a loading pattern is recommended that includes an even pattern of blank slots to 
allow for less pressure and bending at the ITA insertion base. Extra spacing between 
patchcords helps to ensure wire integrity and performance. 

REMOVAL 

Repeat steps 1-5 to access the ITA frame.  

6.  All inserts with each patchcord must be removed simultaneously to prevent damage to 

VTAC Inserts.  

Group the required number of extraction tools together for patchcord removal  
(

Figure B

).  Note the extraction tool pins are placed into the extraction cavities on the 

front side of the ITA frame.  

While grasping the extraction tool(s) from the sides (

Figure B

), slide tool pins into 

module’s extraction cavities.  

The extraction tool(s) need to be seated against the module frame before the plunger 
is pushed in.  Otherwise, damage to the insert(s) may occur. 

10.  Push the plunger(s) in simultaneously to extract the insert(s). The insert(s) will be 

ejected out the wiring side of the module (

Figure C

).  

11.  Force should not be needed to extract inserts. If inserts do not extract easily, ensure all 

pins are fully seated in the correct location and try again. 

BLUE INSERT 

ON TOP

TIER A 

FIRST

TIER B

Figure A.  

Figure B.  

PLUNGER

GRIP

SEATED 

FLUSH

GRIP

PUSH IN

PLUNGER

Figure C.  

Summary of Contents for 310 130 113

Page 1: ...ATURE IDENTIFICATION ITA 7 i2 MX VTAC RAIL INSTALLATION REMOVAL RECEIVER ITA 8 INSERT INSTALLATION REMOVAL SIM MODULE i2 MX RECEIVER 9 INSERT INSTALLATION REMOVAL SIM MODULE ITA 10 INSERT INSTALLATION...

Page 2: ...sses are intended to mate with the circular indentations on the opposite side of the insert to make grouping easier 1 The VTAC Pass Thru Insert has both a front mating end Figure A and rear mating end...

Page 3: ...he front side and is marked with a notch Figure C When the module is oriented correctly this notch is located in the upper left corner of the front side 2 The front is the mating side of the module an...

Page 4: ...eceiver module Figure B It also provides access to the extraction tool cavities Figure C 3 The rear side contains the position A1 notch and markings closest to the edge of the frame Figures B C Wiring...

Page 5: ...t Figure B The front also has a polarizing feature which prevents incorrect engagement with the ITA Figure B Finally the front features a latch for secure mating with the ITA Figure A 2 Position A1 is...

Page 6: ...keying receptacle at the bottom of the front Figure B The front also has a polarizing feature which prevents engagement with the receiver in an incorrect orientation Figure B Finally the front featur...

Page 7: ...es are determined as such when viewing from the rear wiring side of the ITA 3 After rails are installed place frame bottom on a flat surface then re fasten halves together by re tightening the Phillip...

Page 8: ...ure and the insert s should easily snap into place Force should not be needed when inserting If force is required incorrect orientation is being used for installation Consult the VTAC Insert Feature I...

Page 9: ...e rear edge of the module frame Figure B REMOVAL 5 All inserts grouped together for a patchcord must be extracted at the same time 6 The VTAC Extraction Tools should be grouped together to allow for r...

Page 10: ...ed that includes an even pattern of blank slots to allow for less pressure and bending at the ITA insertion base Extra spacing between patchcords helps to ensure wire integrity and performance REMOVAL...

Page 11: ...vent the introduction of dust or extraneous air flow into the test system Figure C 4 Loading in SIM modules or the i2 MX should still begin in Tier A Figure A Beginning in Tier A is especially importa...

Page 12: ...ion Insert is not keyed PCB MOUNTING HOLES TOP ALIGNMENT POSTS PCB MOUNTING SURFACE LATCH RIGHT ANGLE HEADER 1 The top is located opposite of the compliant pins Figure C 2 The compliant pins and PCB a...

Page 13: ...talled via press fitting using VPC s special installation tool For a brief video version of these instructions please click here to access a video tutorial on VPC s YouTube channel INSTALLATION 1 Load...

Page 14: ...INS CONTACTS Figure H Join both halves of tool Figure I Check alignment of contacts and alignment pins with holes CHECK ALIGNMENT ALIGNING PCB AND USING PRESS 6 Position the board so that the contacts...

Page 15: ...y pushing on the front surface After the tool has been released lift it off the PCB Figure K 13 Verify that the header s are fully seated against the board along the edge Figure L USINGVTACRIGHTANGLEH...

Page 16: ...angle headers Ensure that the necessary module slots contain mating inserts for the PCB s mounted headers For the purpose of this application the mating side of the VTAC Pass Thru insert is the rear 2...

Page 17: ...provided pan head Phillips screws 3 Ensure that the VTAC Retention insert s is aligned with the corresponding module receiver position s Also ensure that any VTAC Right Angle Inserts are aligned with...

Page 18: ...oth faces of the insert are symmetrical Figure C Figure A 1 The top mating end is located opposite of the compliant pins Figure A 2 The compliant pins mate with the PCB via use of VPC Insertion Tool p...

Page 19: ...her side of the base These alignment pins will be used later to locate the PCB and the base Figure B 3 Load the desired number of headers into the base Insert so that the top mating end is placed into...

Page 20: ...igure C 5 Press the top down onto the PCB and towards the base pushing the compliant pins of the header into the PCB Do not over press 6 Remove the PCB from the tool and verify the installation of eac...

Reviews: